Welcome to Swinging By

These are the places of interest that I've been to and I would like to share them with you. I hope you find them interesting too.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Sunset Orchestra at Jesselton Point, Kota Kinabalu

Last Saturday we went to see the Shan Tao High School orchestra band perform at Jesselton Point, Kota Kinabalu. This band was started by me when I was the principal of the school. We started off as a brass band initially and added more instruments when funds permitted.

We had to raise funds to purchase musical instruments as we did not get any financial help from the state education department for the band. The school management board helped by providing the means for a trainer to train the students. It has been twelve years since I retired and Saturday's performance showed that the school band had indeed come a long way.

Their repertoire was impressive and they staged an excellent performance on the jetty with the setting sun as the backdrop. We were impressed by the band's performance which also had dances incorporated into the evening programme.

My two grandchildren were spellbound. This is the first time they had ringside seats so to speak, and Chloe was very reluctant to leave her seat during the long intermission. She was afraid that her seat would be taken by someone by the time we returned from dinner.

It was a cool evening fanned by a strong sea breeze and the waves lapping gently beneath provided an ambience that complemented the music that flowed from the band. Some of the songs brought back memories of days gone by.

Indeed the band did the school proud and there was no one prouder than me. My students ( sigh...I still think of it as my school and my students even though I've left..) acquited themselves very well and that evening will remain with me for a long time to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment