Welcome to Swinging By

These are the places of interest that I've been to and I would like to share them with you. I hope you find them interesting too.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mall Décor Celebrating Chinese New Year

The following photos show the Chinese New Year décor in a major mall in K uala Lumpur.

The attractive red lanterns, against the bamboo backdrop plus the lovely flowers put shoppers into a festive mood which in turn loosens the purse strings, to the advantage of the special stalls set up close by.
One small stall had different bonzai plants for sale, including the Japanese Maple. A tad too expensive I thought, for some of the tiny pots.
Some plants symbolising prosperity were also on display.
There is also a very cosy nook for tired shoppers to take a break and enjoy the lovely flowers, both real and artificial, artfully arranged in clusters, a pleasing sight for sore eyes.
Amidst all the lovely decor something significant was missing. There was no sign of any serpent or snake figure even though we are welcoming the new lunar Year of the Snake. This is attributed to the fear people have of snakes. Mention a snake and most ladies would shudder in horror, me included.

I had a terrifying experience of having a small green snake curl itself round my ankle when I was walking to school. I screamed and kicked out, dislodging the snake. From that day on, I was very afraid of these slithery creatures that creep up silently on you. So in this mall, there is no snake or any serpent put up. Nonetheless, the decorations here are certainly a far cry from the pathetic display in China town.

No comments:

Post a Comment