Welcome to Swinging By

These are the places of interest that I've been to and I would like to share them with you. I hope you find them interesting too.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jalan Pasar Stalls


This evening was highly anticipated as it was to be a trip down memory lane.

I had seen a segment on Astro ( cable tv )which featured some stalls in Jalan Pasar in Pudu in Kuala Lumpur. This was exciting as I had frequented this area in my childhood. There used to be a wet market and food stalls which were very popular with KL folks.

We used to take shortcuts cutting through the little kampung and along the back streets to get to Jalan Pasar. Today the little kampung has given way to multi-storey buildings and flats and I don't recognise the area anymore.

It was not easy to locate the lane that houses these food stalls and we had to ask our way there. It certainly was smaller than I had expected. The variety of food was also less than I remembered.

However we settled for different dishes.

My spouse ordered a bowl of pig innards soup with rice. Inside the bowl I could see pork slices, liver, intestines and cubes of pig's blood.


I opted for grilled stuffed tauhoo. The tauhoo had been deep fried and cut into two. Then it was stuffed with sliced cucumber and bean sprouts. This dish also came with grilled cuttle fish and deep fried prawn fritter, i.e. small prawn dipped into batter which came out as crispy rounds of batter and a bit of prawn. ( hei piah chni ) The dish was topped with coarsely pounded peanuts and sweet chilli sauce.

The lady boss obligingly placed a piece of the round prawn fritter upright so that it could be photographed.



My daughter opted for the fried radish cake. The steamed radish cake is fried with dark soya sauce, egg and bean sprouts and a dash of chilli. It smelled good.


There was also a stall with fresh slices of fish, fish ball, squid, etc etc which you would dip into a pot of boiling water to cook before you dip into a sauce and then eat.


Other stalls sold local cakes and iced drinks.

We finished our food and made a beeline for the carpark as it was getting dark and we had to go through narrow lanes and quiet streets. I would say it was an okay evening but I wish the food could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment