Welcome to Swinging By

These are the places of interest that I've been to and I would like to share them with you. I hope you find them interesting too.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Clitheroe Market

After leaving Chester, we came to a little town called Clitheroe.

There was a castle on a hill or what looked like castle ruins but we didn't bother climbing up to take a closer look.

Clitheroe Castle

We stopped at their market as I love to visit small markets in the countryside.

Clitheroe Market didn’t disappoint as there were many small stalls selling different types of produce.

Entrance to the Clitheroe Market


Clitheroe market stalls


Beautiful flowers




My first stop was the sweets stall. The variety of sweets, toffees, fudges, etc  was astonishing.


Amazing display of sweets, fudges, toffees, etc

Never to resist anything sweet, I picked out a few varieties, much to the horror
of my granddaughter who kept reminding me that I’m a diabetic and these are forbidden items. My reply??

“I’m on holiday!!” cheerily as if that gave me licence to eat forbidden stuff. But what the heck!
I’m on holiday!!

Then we looked for a place to have our lunch. I’m not really fond of western food,
pastries included. I don’t eat beef, lamb, cheese or butter!! So choices for me are very
limited, much to the despair of my family.

Luck was with us as we chanced upon a place called The Conservative Club! We stepped inside and there were many diners, so we waited for a table that could accommodate the five of us. In fact, we finally pushed 2 tables together.

In a cosy corner


Quite a variety on the menu

My grandchildren went to the counter and snapped a picture of the menu for the day and showed it to me.


Wonder of wonders, there was something I would enjoy!!

Roast pork and Yorkshire pudding served with fresh local market potatoes and vegetables!!

We all made our choices, paid for the meals at the counter and settled down to wait for
lunch to be served.

Waiting for our meals


My granddaughter's asparagus soup


My lunch! Roast port, Yorkshire pudding, local market potatoes & vegetables

After a most satisfying lunch, we left Clitheroe and soon found another lovely place, Stonyhurst College which I’ll introduce to you in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment