Welcome to Swinging By

These are the places of interest that I've been to and I would like to share them with you. I hope you find them interesting too.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

On the Tourist Trail, Penang


We were able to take in two interesting temples but before that as we were walking along a narrow street, we passed by a temple, Chinese, I believe but we didn’t go inside.


                                                  Entrance to Chinese Temple

 The guide to us to two temples situated on opposite sides of the road.  One temple, which I think is a Thai temple ( I’ve forgotten!) houses a reclining Buddha while the other, a standing one.

The outside of the Thai temple displayed impressive pairs of Unicorns and Dragons, very colorful and shining.
                                                         Pair of Unicorns

                                                     Pair of Dragons

We had to remove our shoes and I had to take off my hat before we could enter the temple.  I believe this is a custom practiced by devotees and visitors.
                                                  The Reclining Buddha

 he Burmese temple ( again I believe it is as my memory is not good these days!) has a lovely garden behind it and it also has lodgings for its monks as I could see saffron robes on its balconies.
                                                       The Standing Budhha


It was very cool and shady in the garden and for the first time I saw a sea coconut tree.
                                                      The Sea Coconut Tree

 There are two other memorable temples which we did not have the time to visit but will definitely do so on our next trip to Penang, that is, the Kek Lok Si Temple which is a tall pagoda dedicated to the Goddess Kwan Yim ( I think) and the renowned Snake Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment