Welcome to Swinging By

These are the places of interest that I've been to and I would like to share them with you. I hope you find them interesting too.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

But for the Grace of God...


But for the Grace of God, I may not be swinging by now.

This morning, I had my usual "monologue" with God as I left my home. I prayed for the Lord to cover and protect all members in my family and my siblings' families, to take me safely to where I was going this morning and to bring me back home safely.

I went to the British Council for some discussions after which I made my way to the multi-storey carpark. I had to cross a one-way but two lane street. The cars had to slow down at the raised ramp near the junction so I crossed the road further down, away from the junction. As I was halfway across, I saw this car rushing towards me and I thought, " Oh God, it's going to hit me! I'm either going to die or be badly hurt."

I couldn't backtrack as there was another car coming. I just stopped, frozen as I waited for it to hit me. All of a sudden the car stopped right in front of me. I quickly walked past the car and I looked at the driver.

It was a woman driver who didn't even turn to look at me. I asked "How can you drive so fast?" but of course she couldn't hear me because her window was up and as I said she didn't even look at me. She just zoomed off.

I quickly uttered a short prayer of thanks to God. Indeed He had been covering and protecting me all the while, every night and every day. This morning's incident had made it very clear. Only God could have stopped the car. It had been coming very fast. Obviously the ramp didn't slow her down. She must have swept across it in a hurry to get somewhere.

It was only after I got to my car, that I truly felt the impact of the last few minutes. If I had been knocked down, would I have lived to tell the tale? If I had survived, how badly incapacitated would I have been?

Ironically my second place of call was to the gym at the Golf & Country Club where I was going to exercise on the stationary bike. Doctor's orders after I fell and hurt my knee. I go there three times a week to cycle. Today I did my exercise and then headed to the supermarket to buy some vegetables and fruit.

This mundane chore helped me to calm down a bit but I suspect that when I next have to cross that street in town, I will be more than doubly careful.

Praise the Lord for a safe drive home this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment